The York County Law Library was established by an act of the General Assembly in 1867 for the use of the judges, lawyers, and citizens of York County and was to be operated and maintained by a special law library Committee composed of the President Judge of York County and several other members of the Bar. In August of 2014, the Law Library Committee voted to disband the committee and completely reorganize the library, which was done by an Administrative Order. The library closed for renovations and reopened in September 2014 under the direction of the Administrative Office of York County Courts, which now provides the funding for the law library in its budget.
At one time, the law library had in excess of 30,000 volumes located in the Library proper and in each judge's chambers. Due to diminishing use and interest, as well as increasingly high costs, the volumes in the library were significantly reduced and the library downsized physically. Currently, several print publications are still housed in the library, in addition to public patron access to online legal research through WestlawNext and LexisAdvance. The Library now has increased resources for legal research.
The Library is located on the fourth floor of the Judicial Center in conjunction with the York County Court Self-Help Center.
The Library is open to the public from 9 am to 4 pm daily, unless otherwise posted; circulation is limited to attorneys.