The York County Prothonotary's Office is an authorized Passport Acceptance Facility for the U.S. Passport Services.
We are accepting Passport Applications by appointment only. To make an appointment call 717-771-4760.
All passport applicants must appear in person, including minors. Both parents and the minor child must be present at the time of application.
Se Habla Espanol
What you will need to apply for a passport:
Blank Passport Forms are available in the Prothonotary's Office.
Additional forms are available online at the U.S. Department of State
Proof of U.S. Citizenship
- State Certified Birth Certificate - Long Form Only
- At least one parents name must be included on the birth certificate
- To obtain a new PA birth certificate go to PA Vital Records/Birth Certificates
- Out of state birth certificates can be ordered through VITAL RECORDS ONLINE
- Naturalization Certificate - Original only
- Expired U.S. Passport
- Birth Abroad Document
All citizenship documentation must be submitted to the U.S. Department of State with the passport application. The citizenship documentation will be returned to you via U.S. mail.
Proof of Identity
- Primary Identification: Valid Driver's License or Military ID
- Secondary Indentification (must provide 2):
- Original State-issued Identification Card
- Current School ID
- Expired state issued Driver's License or Stae ID card
- Health insurance card
- Work ID
- Social security card
- Voter registration card
Please note, if an applicant, or the parents/legal guardians of a minor, presents an out-of-state driver's license, additional identification is required.
One-color passport photo (2 inches by 2 inches).
We offer Passport Picture Service. The fee for this service will be $12. This added service will make submitting a Passport Application more convenient for York County residents.
Please note that these are specific types of photos. AAA, drugstores, and camera shops take passport photos. Personal photos, school photos, or photos obtained from a "photo booth" are not acceptable.