How to Apply
Application must be made in person the Public Defender's Office during the hours listed below. If you live more than two hours away or are sick, you may call to apply at 717-771-9217.
All applications must be made at least one week prior to the next court date
Our office is open to apply during the hours shown below. Due to the Court's schedule, interview blocks may be adjusted or canceled without notice. Please call prior to arriving to confirm an interview block is occurring.
Application Interview Hours
|8:30 am to 11:30 am||8:30 am to 11:30 am||8:30 am to 11:30 am||8:30 am to 11:30 am||8:30 am to 11:30 am|
|1 pm to 4 pm||1 pm to 4 pm||1 pm to 4 pm||1 pm to 4 pm||No pm Interviews|
In compliance with county policy, the Public Defender's Office will be closed during Holidays.
When coming to apply, please bring with you all paperwork relating to your current case, including Any proof of income such as pay stubs or tax returns, Criminal Complaint, Affidavit, hearing dates, etc. Below is an interview application form. You may bring in a completed form, with your paperwork, or our office will provide one to complete when you arrive.
If you are currently in a treatment facility and would like to apply for a Public Defender or you are a counselor at a treatment facility and have a resident that needs to apply for a Public Defender, please provide the following information:
1. Completed Public Defender Application
2. Copy of criminal charges and proof of income you may be receiving.
3. Letter from the treatment facility outlining the details of your treatment, i.e. date of your admittance and the length of your stay, if known.
3. Name and phone number of your counselor at the facility (on application).
4. If the treatment facility/counselor needs a release of information form signed in order for our office to speak to them on your behalf, please include a signed copy of their release form with your application.
5. We conduct phone interviews on Friday afternoons between the hours of 1 pm - 4 pm Please indicate what time during those hours you would be available at the number that you have provided so one of our staff members can contact you for a phone interview (we will accommodate your time request as best as possible).
All of the above information can be returned to our office by fax: 717-771-4759. If at any point you are moved to a new treatment facility or you have changed treatment facilities you must notify our office immediately. On the same note, if you are released from treatment you must immediately contact our office with your home address and contact phone number.
Please keep in mind, until you are interviewed by one of our staff members, our office does not represent you.
Please note: the above information only applies to individuals who are currently in inpatient treatment and should be completed and returned by the individual or by the counselor at the treatment facility in which they are located.