Candidates/Running for Office
Run for Office in York County
Candidates can find information on how to run for office on this page, on the main Election Information page, and under the Campaign Finance page.
Our address is:
2401 Pleasant Valley Road
York, PA 17402
You can also visit our Election Information page to see when offices are up for election.
How to Run for Office
Step 1: State your Intention to Run for Office
All required documentation must be submitted to the Elections Office in order to become a candidate. If you provide your email address in the form, the required documents will be emailed to you. The required documents can also be picked up at our office starting the first week of February or downloaded below (see Required Documentation below).
Step 2: Obtain the Required Number of Signatures
Candidates must obtain the minimum required number of signatures using the correct documents (listed below) under the specified timeline (nomination petition period usually runs from mid-February to early-March). Local candidates will submit their documentation to the York County Elections & Voter Registration Office in order to get their name on the ballot for a primary election.
Step 3: Submit the Required Documentation
Candidates running for local offices must submit their completed documents to the York County Elections and Voter Registration Office by the deadline. Documents must be completed in their entirety within the specified timeframe or they will be rejected.
Some offices also require filing fees.
Candidates running for state or federal offices must submit their original, completed documents to the PA Department of State by the deadline.
- Nomination Petition
- Ensure the petition has at least the minimum required number of signatures from registered voters of the correct party and municipality.
- Statement of Circulator must be signed and dated by the person who circulated the petition. This will be signed AFTER signatures are obtained.
- Candidate's Affidavit
- Affidavit must be notarized or the Unsworn Declaration in Lieu of the Notarization may be signed.
- Waiver of Expense Account Reporting Affidavit (optional, but highly recommended)
- Candidates may submit this waiver if they do not plan on making expenditures or receiving contributions in excess of $250 in a reporting period and if they are not establishing a committee.
- If candidates do not complete this waiver, they will have to submit Campaign Finance reports every reporting period no matter the amount of expenditures or contributions, even if that amount is $0.
- Affidavit must be notarized or the Unsworn Statement in Lieu of the Notarization may be signed.
- Statement of Financial Interest
- File the original document with the candidate's municipality or school district.
- File the copy with the petition packet to the Elections Office.
- If the candidate completes this document online, please print out a copy to include with the petition packet and submit a copy to the municipality/school district.
- Filing fees (if applicable)
- Tax Collectors only: In addition to the required paperwork, all first-time candidates seeking the office of tax collector must also file a PA criminal background check.
Step 4: Adhere to any Campaign Finance Reporting Requirements
Candidates must submit a Waiver of Expense Account Reporting with their petition packet or Campaign Finance Reports every reporting period, depending on their amount of expenditures or contributions and if they have established a committee. Please see our Campaign Finance page for more information. (Campaign Finance reporting is not required for party committee people, Judges of Election, or Inspectors of Election.)
|Number of Signatures
|Magisterial District Judge
(may cross file)
|100 per party
|$50.00 per party
|School Directors (may cross file)
|10 per party
|Judges of Election
|Inspectors of Election
*Filing fees may be paid by cash, money order, or certified check payable to the County of York, Personal checks will not be accepted.